Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hej!

We are at a local library in Strängnäs, Sweden which has internet access. I only have seven minutes left, but I thought I'd throw out a quick hello.

We are staying in a little house/cabin in Logarn, which is only a 12 or so minute drive from Strängnäs. The lake is beautiful to swim in, but the last few days we've had a lot of rain. So far we've picked wild blueberries (Blaubeern) and made blueberry waffles and ice cream, gone swimming in the lake, played at a park, and killed hundreds of mosquitos and evil flies that bite called "Bremser" or something like that. I have what feels like innumerable bug bites, and when Simon gets bitten they get huge and swollen... poor kid :(

What is also poor is that the screaming hasn't lessened. Frank and Esther say that it is more than usual, so at least I hopefully don't have this to look forward to for the whole year. Even just in the car coming here, Sara screamed as LOUD as she could because I sat next to her in the car and not her mother. Her mother said she would have to deal with it, and so the screaming got louder. While she didn't end up getting her way, Sara was given a ton of sympathy and attention which does not teach her that screaming is ineffective.

40 seconds to go, talk to you in the future (not in the pasture!)

LG,
~Julia~

2 comments:

  1. You're absolutely right -- if she gets sympathy and attention, they're rewarding the bad behavior. It's called positive reinforcement. Eeekkk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh honey I am so using the future not the pasture! I love you and miss you and love hearing about all of your adventures! It's like you are sitting here next to me realting the info, and giving me a refresher on mein Deutsch!

    ReplyDelete