Thursday, August 20, 2009

Calling all who pray

So I know it's been a long time since I've written, but something pretty big has happened.

Three days ago, Esther wrote me a letter saying that she isn't doing so well at the moment. She cancelled her teacher's training in the Spring because it was too hard to be away from her kids for the entire day, but she is really sad about not continuing because she wants to be a teacher. Also, teachers in Germany make BANK and with Frank as the only one earning money, they have to be very careful with what they do spend. They had thought that when Esther was a teacher, they would need and be able to afford an Au Pair.

However, Esther is not a teacher and is not currently working. Two days ago she got a letter in the mail from the State of Germany asking for their money back (since they paid for her to study to be a teacher and she hasn't continued.) She also heard of a family that she is (loosely) aquainted with who has had an Au Pair every year for the last six or seven years, but right now they have one that isn't working out.

Esther said that they like me a lot, but she is so worried about money (now for their house AND for her schooling) and they don't really need me. She thinks it might be a good idea for me to switch families, like maybe this other family who has two working parents. When she told me this yesterday at breakfast, she hadn't even mentioned it to Frank (who had been out of town for three days, and is today gone for another two). She said that maybe I could meet this family and decide, but if I don't want to I don't have to go and I can stay for the year.

We will have to see what happens, but obviously this is a big thing to pray about. I really don't want to switch families, but I feel awful contributing to a family's money troubles when I am all too familiar with how that feels. We will meet together Friday or Saturday evening (when Frank is back) to discuss the situation.

I really feel like God worked things out for me to be here with this specific family, but maybe he brought me here to support Esther as she deals with depression. I've gone through depression before and I know how it feels. Maybe that's why I'm here.

Here are options as I see it right now:
-Stay as is
-Move to the other family
-Stay a shorter amount of time (like maybe until January or March)
-Stay the full year with the family, but get a part-time job and only get paid from the family what hours I work

If you pray, please please pray for us right now. Please pray for Esther as she struggles with depression and feels like God isn't near her, and pray that God will make it clear to us what we need to do.

When I have more time (hopefully tomorrow) I will post things that are more fun and cute :)

LG,
~Julia~

No comments:

Post a Comment