First of all, the power cord on my computer no longer works and as a result my laptop is dead. LAME. I called HP and they gave me a number for HP Germany, but when I called yesterday they were CLOSED!! Something about resting on the weekends or some other ridiculous notion like that. Ergo, I am typing on Frank & Esther's laptop. A few big differences to consider:
-the Y is in the Z spot and vis versa
-the apostrophe is in a different place (replaced by an Ä) AND you need to use the shift key
-the shift and enter keys are in the right place, but are smaller and result in me hitting the <>
Update no. 2, and the one that is currently of greatest significance: Frank, Esther and I sat down and spoke together last night. Although they really hadn't discussed it together (since Frank was literally gone for the whole evening), Frank said that he felt that they had given their word to have me here and that he feels very strongly about keeping his word. So really, I believe the question of whether I will be moving families or not is officially answered: I WILL be staying with the Beckmann Family. I think the question still remains, however, if it will be for the whole year or slightly shortened (I'm thinking maybe until the end of January or early April - after my birthday.) It's something to consider, but I'm not sure if that will be necessary or not. I'm really hoping that Camp Crescendo will return this next year, and if that happens maybe it's a God thing for me to come back early... but we'll have to see. They did look at the letter from Germany (saying she needs to pay back her tuition fees) and they won't need to start paying back until next June at the latest. There we can praise God for working that out, because I believe it is a huge relief for Esther!
My bike riding really IS much better. My butt now only hurts WHEN I'm riding (and not every time I sit down) AND I can successfully get on and off almost without it tipping at all. Almost. I really do think that I should get a new bike, however, for the following reasons:
-it doesn't have any gear shifts, and when the wind blows in the opposite direction (which it already does when riding a bike) it is really difficult for me. I think they would be very helpful.
-the main brake is on the peddles and not with the hand, making it so that I can't adjust peddle position to make getting on the bike easier. If I don't remember to set the peddle positions before I dismount, then it is really tricky (and embarrassing) to get back on.
-the handlebars curve over my legs instead of sticking out to the sides, which makes turning surprisingly difficult.
-my current bike is rather heavy.
-it doesn't have a kickstand, but rather a weird thing that goes over the back tire and props it up... which is unfortunately prone to tipping.
Lastly, tonight Frank and I rode our bikes to a new English church service. Esther found out about it and thought it would be a good place for me to meet friends, which I have yet to do. I found it very encouraging and comforting since the structure was much more like what I'm used to and I knew the music. However, we got there only four minutes before it started (we left too late) and had to leave early because the speaker rambled (on and off his chosen topic) and we had to be back because Esther had an engagement elsewhere at 7. So I didn't actually meet anyone tonight, and because it's a new program from a local church it won't be offered every week. The next one is in three weeks, and I plan on coming back- though perhaps lacking in superb speakers, I think it will be a good place to meet people and worship God :)
So, in terms of prayer:
-That God will lead us to whatever solution he has for us in regards to me staying here.
-We're still establishing boundaries of my place in the house, like my authority with the kids and my roll as a family member in general.
-Please ask God to make his will for Esther clear, and that he will comfort her as she deals with money worries and depression. Please pray that she will find peace about ending her teacher's training, and hopefully find a solution that is pleasing to God and restores her joy.
-That I will make friends soon!! I haven't really had any opportunities to meet people my age, but I will start an evening language course to improve my German... so pray that I will meet new friends there! And hopefully also at the new English church service (even though it will be infrequent).
-That we will find a better bike at a good price!... SOON!
Okay. To bed.
Liebe Grüße (at least I can type that easily with this keyboard!)
~Julia~
You definitely have our prayers! These situations are so complex and a person can feel so vulnerable so far from home and people who care about you deeply.
ReplyDelete