Today I FINALLY got to make cinnamon rolls! I'd thought about trying to make some for Simon's Geburtstag when the ones they made turned out a little dry, but then Esther said I could make them the following Saturday. I woke up on Saturday all excited to do it, but then Esther pointed out that since the weather was so great we should enjoy it outside. We went to a beautiful little lake with clear water that wasn't too cold and had a really nice afternoon (although now Simon is echt krank (really sick) and Esther is convinced it was because he got too cold in the water on Saturday... schade). Anyway, then I was going to make the cinnamon rolls on Wednesday, but that was the morning that Esther told me about her depression and that they don't really need me... so needless to say, I didn't get it done.
I ran into one glitch while making my cinnamon rolls (and by my cinnamon rolls, I obviously mean Shane Maxey's cinnamon rolls)... they don't have brown sugar in Germany. I mean, they have raw brown sugar, but they don't have sweet, delicious, molasses brown sugar. SCHADE. Instead, they have this weird fluid brown sugar that is like molasses, but lighter like brown sugar. It tasted about right, and it was all I could use since you have to find brown sugar in a specialty store. It turned out okay, but it was pretty weird. When I rolled the dough it was really tricky because it was heavier than it should be and it was leaking out butter and the brown sugar goop.
Regardless, they ended up tasting just fine (a little drier than normal... any thoughts, Shane?) and we served them for an afternoon snack when Sara's friend Tim and his mom came over. (Tim fun fact: Sara is a little obsessed with all things babies at the moment, and has said before that she will have babies when she's 18. I told her you also need a husband to have babies, and she said "Yeah, and I thought maybe Marcel, but probably Tim. FUNNY :D )
I also had an small adventure in Combi, the closest grocery store to us. I happen to really like Combi, as it was the only store that I found that had Dill when I wanted to cook salmon, plus it's organized like a normal store!... as opposed to Lidl and Adli, which feels like alike items are barely grouped together.
Anyway, I thought it would be nice to make a good old-fashioned American pancake breakfast (aka pancakes made with buttermilk and eaten with maple syrup, NOT jelly). Unfortunately, the syrup was playing hard to get. I looked up and down EVERY isle (okay, except the pet food isle, I felt pretty safe there) and then I finally asked a stranger to help me. He was really nice, and though he also looked hard, he couldn't find it either.
When I finally gave up and checked out, I asked the lady and when she was like "Meinst du Nutella? Oder Zimtzucker?" I had to explain "syrup dass kommt aus ein Baum" "Ah, Ahornsirup!" and one lady in line said "Maple?" YES! ENGLISH! So the lady took me back to find it - it was with all the Bio products which I had passed already. I mean, Bio products! When I passed by I looked at them and thought "oh, this stuff is all healthy, it isn't here." WRONG. When I was walking back to check-out, the guy who had helped me saw me so I told him it where it was, and he showed me some other syrup he found with the marmalade... it was like zuckersirup or something like that, definitely not what I was looking for, but it was "sweet" (ha!) that he kept looking. Moral of the story, tomorrow morning we will be having buttermilk pancakes... once I get the recipe from my dad...
Lastly, I am now able to get onto a bicycle by peddling to get boosted onto the seat, but only if I have the peddles in JUST the right position and I straddle the bar first. Next goal: to begin peddling off to one side (aka from a NORMAL position and not only when I straddle the bar).
LG,
~Julia~
No comments:
Post a Comment